Monday, May 3, 2010

God's shield of Grace

Each new day brings the unexpected around here. The strike has definitely made this already difficult process even more seemingly impossible. Seriously no one can go anywhere unless they walk. The Cadres have completely immobilized the city. This morning greeted J much too early (to his dismay), with multiple visits to the bathroom. We were going to walk to a hotel that is closer to the orphanage, check in and then walk to the orphanage, about a two hour walk. With J's condition, we knew that plan would be impossible.

Once our rep arrived, he worked tirelessly and finally, after using many of his connections, found us a driver. Since tourism brings most of the country's revenue, tourists can pay a driver about $35 a day to get around. And this is expensive because it is diffucult to find someone willing to drive under these circumstances. However we were happy to pay at that point. While so far the rallies have been peaceful, the scene is disturbing (which is exactly what they are trying to do). And while tourists are not "targets", we did not careen through the bumpy streets without dirty looks. This was the first time in LONG time that I have to admit truly being afraid as we were the only vehicle traveling the streets packed with Maoists completely surrounding our little white van with two very white (as ghosts) Americans. Most of the time we traveled at a snail's pace so as to avoid hitting anyone, but instead they banged on the van windows. We felt like we were breaking the law by traveling by vehicle, the one the Maoists created for the strike and here we sat in the middle of them. You know I was praying God's shield of protection over us! I have never been so happy to arrive somewhere as our new home, the Hotel Himalaya. As I am typing, they continue to march, whistle and chant on the street directly out the front doors. All of the hotel staff are running outside to watch.

After checking in and a quick rest for J to recharge, it was time to once again load into the van and attempt to go to the orphanage. I was almost too afraid to get in the van knowing what we had just faced and been protected from. I didn't want to push my luck. But in a way, I saw a small glimpse of what those who give their lives to the mission field experience on a daily basis. As my sweet friend Jill reminded me, I had to consider the lengths that Jesus had to endure to adopt us. I had to face my fear and trust that the reward was on the other side. It felt like an undercover rescue mission, except we were highly visible! J is of course in a sick level on conciousness the entire time, too sick be afraid. I prayed the whole way that the van would not break down, because each time it hit a pothole (very often) I swore it was over. I consoled myself with the thought that the van small s it was, could run the people over. How sick is that! At one point we came up to a major road and the crowd blocked the way from one side ofthe street to the other. When the driver waved for them to make a path, they started whistling and approached the vans waving us on. For my sake, he could not turn that van around fast enough. Thankfully we found a hilly, bumpy side street. By the looks we got, Tourist vans do not usually use this route. Oh the relief I felt when the driver pulled over to a gate and honked to someone to open, the gate to His orphanage. This is when the angels rejoiced after carrying that van all the way!

We entered the orphanage and was greeted by a Nepali woman. She immediately called the director of the home who was not able to make it with the strike. After speaking with him on the phone (which was very difficult to understand his English) I made out that tomorrow he will walk to the orphanage to meet with us. Next the Didi entered the room carrying Him in her arms. I have been asked to report the first words out of my mouth to Him. I believe they were something like "Wow, you are a big boy!" He was very hesitant to leave his Didi's arms at first, continuously turning and lifting his arms to be picked back up. There were three women, and all of them take care of him, but he definitely has a preference for one. They allowed a 6 year old girl to come in the room, which I think really helped Him feel more comfortable. This little girl so starved for attention, she literally clung to me the whold time we were there. First, I pulled out the little Sesame Street noise maker and they both really liked that. He approached me timidly, but when he saw the little girl pushing the buttons he made it clear that he wanted his turn. However the real fun began when I brought out the blue ball. The kid has a future in baseball! He ran all around throwing and chasing the ball. I can tell I have my work cut out for me though as it is obvious that he has not been told "no" much. He actually played tossing the ball back and forth between us. He also loved the bubbles. He blew with shorts burts of air and was actually able to make bubbles. I got him to sit in my lap and hold him for a short time by feeding him cheerios. I'm not usually a fan of bribery, but hey whatever works at this point. While the Didi's provided him comfort with this being our first meeting, the bonding process is going to be difficult with them present as they continuously ran to his side throughout the time.

After we played until I could sense that he needed a change of scenery, we asked to be shown his living quarters. Please continue to pray for the political situation here. In the words of the Nepali's "It is not good." We are asking God to excelerate our process so we can get back out of the country before the government is overthrown if it is to happen. Also pray for healing for J.

11 comments:

leigh ann said...

Praying, praying, praying! Our God is so much bigger than any amount of paperwork or political takeover. He will see you through this and we are already praising him for he glory He will receive once this is over and you are all back safe and sound. So happy you have gotten to finally meet your son. We'll be praying for him to gain an understanding that you are his mommy and daddy. Praying for your safety! Love you both.

crispy said...

Great first meeting. And I appreciate all the details. Thanks for sharing. It makes me understand how much we need to pray for you guys.

Love you lots.

cris

Iola said...

Tanya I cried when i read your blog this morning.(you know your mother)of course they were tears of happiness for the 2 of you. I am so happy you made it to see Liam.Hope he will be able to feal comfortable with you 2 soon. i pray things go as they should and you can return home as expexted or sooner

Anonymous said...

Praying for your peace and safety! Maybe L will grow up to be a Cardnial! Sarah H.

Elissa said...

wow, thank you for these great updates so we know exactly what to pray for. His grace is sufficient! Praying you home with your precious new son.

Anonymous said...

Praying much this morning for you! I know none of this has taken our God by surprise. Praying He would "hem you(all 3 of you) in before and behind" Ps 139:5 and get the process completed so you can get him home. Margaret R

Cheryl said...

Praying for you. Just more evidence that God has ordained this to happen for your family!

Megan said...

Our God and creator of all is in control even when it seems things are out of control around us. Take care and know that all will work out for His glory.

The Canada's said...

So happy that you guys got to Liam today!!! We are continually praying!

Darlene said...

OH my how much we are praying for you all!! God is going to carry you all right through this. Seems to me this is just the type situation that God uses to show how awesome he is. How great that you got to play with him. And we are praying for J to feel better. Love you both bunches - stay safe!

Darlene said...

We are praying for you both! These are the types of situations that God uses to show just how awesome he is! I'm so glad you all got to play with him. We'll be praying that the Didi's are a little busier with other things for the next visit. :-) We also hope J feels better soon. Love you both bunches - stay safe!