The good news is L has been loved and well cared for by his Didi. Knowing that he can attach brings much comfort. The bad news is that they mutually share a deep attachment. This disruption is going to be difficult as he grieves the loss of the only mother he has ever known. We miscommunicated what time we should arrive for our visit today. We tried to avoid disturbing his nap, so I had no idea they woke him for our visit just shortly after falling asleep. So as you can imagine, he was less than interested in playing with us. He really just wanted to snuggle with his wonderful Didi. I completely understood and felt terrible for them having woke him. We were able to entice him from his grogginess with more cheerios and orange Gatorade in a sippy cup. After he warmed up a little, she slipped out to give us some time alone with him. I gave him the ABC phone and he held it to his ear and pushed all the buttons. He took it to J to show him and J got out his cell phone and pretended to talk. He also liked the magna doodle, he used his right hand to scribble all over it. I observed that he has great processing and fine motor skills. He rolled the ball and car back and forth and tried to screw and unscrew the bubble lid taking it off and replacing it. He put the wand in and tried to take it back out. He wanted to figure it out and do it himself. The battery door fell off of the Sesame Street toy and he worked very hard to get it to stay on. He self feeds and drinks. I got a small smirk out of him when we were playing with the balls. He tucked them under his legs in an attempt to hide them from me. I began searching for the balls and squeezed his thighs as I probed around and was rewarded with and almost smile. About 15 minutes after everyone familiar had slipped out, he noticed that we were alone and became distraught. I took him to Parkita for some comfort and invited her to rejoin us. After some time, another Nepali couple entered the office and sat in the Director's office, so Didi sat in that room within eyesight while we played a little more. It wasn't long that he needed a change of scenery, and I sensed he was done our antics. We said our goodbyes and he even gave me a kiss on the cheek! It was not a full smackeroo but he not turn his face away when I placed my cheek up next to his lips ashe did yesterday. It was pretty sweet.
Thank you all for your sweet words of comfort and scripture. It has all helped me remember that our God is not a God of fear and he will be faithful to complete his purposes for us here. I recalled the lyrics from the song we have been singing at church, "I have a hope, I have a future, .......tell me whom then shall I fear..." And if God is for me who can be against me...The ride was not as scary to me today, and later we even went out for a walk among the streets that he was likely to have been found. We walked right past a group of marching Maoists and were not bothered. We are understanding that while they are annoying, they are not violent and we are not targets. Still, the adoptive families here cannot make progress on heading home since none of the government workers can get into their offices. The Cadres are blocking the entrances. Please continue to pray that the strike will end soon as there are so many Nepali's who need to work to feed their families. The hopelessness and despair is overwhelming. I know these people are typically welcoming and warm and our experience is that they will not even exchange a smile, only cold, hard looks. Pray that we can be a light in the darkness and bring joy to those we encounter.
Here are a couple of pictures from our walk today.

Our new home

The most prayed over van in the world parked safely at the orphanage.

One of the oldest types of Hindu Temples
Our guide and interpreter Kamal

Riot Police

United Nations trucks
6 comments:
You are never far from our thoughts:-) We are praying for your safe and swift return.
Please don't stop these posts. I look forward to living vicariously through your experience in Nepal. I am waiting for a referral and your blog helps to see a light at the end of a long, dark tunnel. It's fun to read your daily excerpts which makes the process seem more real and informative. As you know, not much information is gotten from your agency as well as from Nepal. Good luck and I hope you get home soon.
Well, J looks like he might feel a little better. We are praying for the workers to be able to get to their offices. Hang in there, I think it will be such a sweet day when L seeks comfort from you and J and no one else. We are just praying, praying, praying. Much Love!
We were on our knees collectively at Bible study last night on your behalf. There are so many prayers being lifted for you right now; I am believing God to not only get you through this, but to do it in such a way that there is no doubt He is in charge and deserves all the glory. What an incredible story you will have to tell L when he gets older of how you risked everything to come and get him, just like Jesus. Amazing love!
Praying for your family. We will continue to pray for God's perfect will. Glad to hear L is warming up a little bit. Baby steps...=)
Believe it or not you will get used to it. I lived like that for months. After the first two weeks I stopped freaking out.
Stay in the hotel on the banda days, stay away from riot/demonstration streets; and on the OK days walk around Thamal or get a cab and go to all the neat places like, KTM durbar square, Patan durbar square, Pashupatinath, monkey temple Swayambhunath, Boudhanath, and the ancient ciyy of Bhkatapur.
KTM durbar square can be done in one trip, but the other places need more then one trip in my opinion.
Every time I went back I saw different things.
Besides driving on bandah days no one ever bothered me. Don't go out after the sun sets either, but I was fine during the day and I was a single girl with a Nepali baby.
The water and food is much more a health risk then anyone you will meet.
all the best
m
Post a Comment