When I realized the impossibility of us affording this adoption I doubted that this was a call that we could fulfill. However, I also have previously mentioned that God is tearing down any sense of control in my life. It was this same revelation that confirmed the call to adopt since this was much bigger than anything that we could make happen with our resources . This journey has been the biggest "mountain" (pun intended) J and I have climbed together in our 15 years.
As I was seeking affirmation to adopt, I sought out an acquaintance who has adopted a little boy from China. She provided me the best piece of adoption advice. She said "don't let money be the reason you don't adopt." I held onto those words and I am so glad that I did.
We have worked very diligently to become and stay debt-free. We had financial goals and were beginning to see our diligence pay off. When God called us to this journey, it became our prayer that we would be able to see God's provision by allowing us to adopt debt free. Three months prior to applying to AGCI, we had half of the funds sitting in our savings account (even though we had no idea then that we would need it for an adoption) . J's car turned out to be a total lemon. After sinking lots of money into it, it still did not run. We were forced to use our savings to replace it. We were so thankful to be able to pay in full for a new vehicle and still be debt free. Fast forward two months later when we would need an insurmountable amount of money for this adoption. Looking into our bank account however, we were reminded that our savings would not provide for fees beyond the first major payment! Have I mentioned that this was our first step of FAITH! Hoping in things unseen (dollars!) Had it been two months sooner I would have felt more confident in our own ability to pay the fees. I think God allowed us to be stripped of our own confidence so that He might get all the glory He deserves in fulfilling His plan. I will never be able to say "I did that."
So far, God has provided the payments we have needed at just the right time. Not a day too early, but not a day too late. Money has come to us through gifts, extra writing, teaching and speaking gigs, yard sales, consignment sales, and some generous friends giving us an interest free loan (which is about to be paid off!) Most years we don't get an income tax refund (since we try to avoid giving the government a loan) or it is not much to write home about. This year for some reason, even after readjusting our withholdings, we are getting back a substantial amount. The refund will not only help us pay off our loan from our friend, but will allow us to have extra in the bank for a head start when the next fee is due at referral.
And just today we have been given an amazing opportunity to increase our gifts. A donor has offered to match any gifts up to $2,500 that we can raise ourselves. How incredible is that! Every gift will be doubled! I love God's economy! So if you have been waiting for the right opportunity to invest your money and double it, here is your chance! If you are interested just contact us and we will give you the details of where to send the money. It is all tax deductible of course. Just leave me a comment (I will moderate comments so they will not be public) and I will get in touch with you.
Sometimes it's difficult to wait and trust in God's perfect timing. When I become anxious, I go back to my foundation of God's truth. I am reminded that I am to:
"Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to me.
Therefore I will not worry about tomorrow,
for tomorrow will worry about itself."
Matthew 6:33-34


2 comments:
God is good!
We serve a big God!! It is awesome to see how He is providing for your adoption! So happy for you & excited that your dossier is with the matching committee!
Post a Comment