Friday, October 17, 2008

Nepalese Customs

While Tanya and I were filling out a 9,000 page workbook (OK, 163 pages but it sure felt a lot longer) we had to do some research into the customs and background of Nepal. So here's my own summary of what we discovered at "Nepal Vista.com"...

Cheeseburgers are taboo (and cows get to do whatever they please; I picture the Chik-Fil-A cows having the run of the place, with Mount Everest somehwhere off in the distance).

You can't call a baby "fat" because it curses him, but the adults love being called "fat" because it means they're generally rich.

"Have you eaten?" is their way of saying "hello." Say "you ate one" ("Khaya") and you're good to go; answer "no" ("Chaaina") and they'll try to stuff your face with rice.

For yes you shake your head side to side; for no you shake your head up and down. No telling how many international incidents this will cause for me.

You never pass food or exchange money with your left hand; there is good reason for this, as the left hand is used exclusively in place of Charmin.

You can't blow your nose in public but you can chuck your trash everywhere and spit as much as you like (note to self: bring the sunflower seeds...)

Once someone has eaten from a plate, most Nepalese won't touch it as its now considered impure. (So I'm thinking...if you're really hungry, just go around the restaurant taking bites from everyone's plates and you have an instant all you can eat Nepalese buffet! Of course, they probably beat me with their left hands and call my child "fat" if I actually try this.)

And last but not least, I can't kiss my wife in public but I can hold Clark Lambert's hand and its perfectly normal.

Oh boy (pun intended), this will be an interesting journey to say the least...

- Jay

3 comments:

Mandy said...

What I love about your blog is hearing your voices each of you as you blog. I love you both. There is a special place in my heart for both of you. I am praying for you. Mandy

Kristen said...

Make sure you take lots of pictures.. especially of Jay and Clark holding hands :)

The Lamberts said...

Jay...When you hold my hand I prefer your Right one....Lord only knows where that other one has been. But, wait! I am ambidextrous. How will you know which one of my hands to hold? Stinks for you, no pun intended. Clark