We left the restaurant and went to Target. I know these things are probably insignificant, but nevertheless ironic. While shopping for a baby shower gift in the baby aisle, I turned the corner and there sat the cutest little Chinese girl in another cart with Caucasian parents. Then from several aisles away I heard a woman randomly shout out, "look, it's made in China!". I nudged Jay and said, "see, it's another sign." He brought me back to earth by saying, "baby, everything is made in China." " I know, but why would she just randomly shout that out in the middle of Target, except for me to hear!" That night when I came to bed, I found that Jay had placed this month's copy of "Christianity Today" on my pillow. The cover story was about Christianity in China.
In July I boarded a plane headed for Hong Kong, China. We arrived in an airport that is so large that it is visible from space! Prior to the trip, we were asked to request roommates. I did not know many people going on the trip and there was only one other woman going who was in the same stage of life. I did not even know her. In fact, I had only seen her at church, but I don't think we had ever even had a conversation. This was the first of many divine appointments during the mission trip. The first morning in Hong Kong afforded us several hours of conversation (since we both woke up at 5:00 in the morning as it felt like 4:00 in the afternoon to our bodies.) I felt like I needed to share my journey with her so she could pray for me as we had shared experiences. As I was talking, she began to cry. She went on to say that she and her husband were also in the same place on the same journey! What a moment! We know that God had planned this moment. God had provided for each of us someone to share this part of the journey. This is the funny part, she lives on the street behind us and we never knew it. God had to take us to Hong Kong in order for us to meet.
The first group of children we worked with were the Nepalese children. Most of these were refugees. I met two sisters whose story completely gripped my heart. They are Athsma and Athsmita. They were 12 and 15 years old. Their mother had been in Hong Kong working as an Amah since Asthma was 6 mos. old. They had only seen their mother four times their entire life and this was the first time they been to able to travel to H.K. to visit her. They would only be there for one month. In the one week that they had been there, Athsmita had already accepted Christ under Caroline's ministry at the ICM. I learned so much about true sacrifice. I could not imagine being that mother. The girls come to our VBS that week and I grew to love them as well the other Nepalese children.
They treated us to a traditional Nepalese dance in full attire. It was beautiful. I was amazed by their compassion and concern for other children, even babies that they had just met. Here are a few pictures of the girls.
The girls mom even came to family night of VBS.
I had no idea the impact these children would have on the future of our family.


No comments:
Post a Comment