Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Burden of Hope

My husband and I have been having some very honest talks about the emotional challenge of this journey lately. For all of you prospective adoptive parents out there, remember this experience is truly not for the faint of heart. But that's no reason to not embrace the calling to adopt. There is much God is teaching us as we wait. A minister who works with my husband calls this the "burden of hope" - the tension between the now and the not yet. J sent this to me early this AM after his morning devotion and I thought I would share it as encouragement with all of you who are also carrying the "burden of hope":

Today I Re-read the Romans 8 passage in the Message today and it moved me deeply…

All around us we observe a pregnant creation. The difficult times of pain throughout the world are simply birth pangs. But it’s not only around us; it’s within us. The Spirit of God is arousing us within. We’re also feeling the birth pangs. These sterile and barren bodies of ours are yearning for full deliverance. That is why waiting does not diminish us, any more than waiting diminishes a pregnant mother. We are enlarged in the waiting. We, of course, don’t see what is enlarging us. But the longer we wait, the larger we become, and the more joyful our expectancy.

26–28 Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.[1]

I needed to hear 8:27 put that way…”He knows us better than we know ourselves, knows our “pregnant” condition, and keeps us present before God…”

God is stretching us, “enlarging” us as it says above, teaching us what it means to not just be happy but truly joyful in our expectancy.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

You're so right. It's a truly life-changing experience. Sometimes fun but mostly burdened for the "not yet". It's more than worth anything you can imagine, even when it takes longer than 9 months. God bless your family during the "not yet". It's not a fun place to be but it will make the "yes, now" so much more incredible.

Andrew and Heather Robinson said...

Wow - this is absolutely wonderful. JUST what I needed to hear. Brought refreshment to my soul. Thank you!
Heather,
PAP - Nepal

Shelby said...

What a lovely post. I'm so sorry your journey has been this difficult. I'm hoping for good news for you to come soon.