Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Living My Own Sermons

T has asked me to "guest blog" this post, so here goes...

Things I am learning in this process:

1. Our government is far from perfect, but I am learning to appreciate things we take for granted - like seamless transitions from one administration to the next. I've been on the Nepali Times site lately and it seems like the turnover in prime ministers means pretty much everything slows down or stops until the new administration is in place.

2. Ladies first, even in Nepal. We've been a bit perplexed as to why we haven't gotten a referral yet when we were high on the list. By monitoring blogs and news groups, we've deduced that only girls have been referred as of this point.

3. That even if my preaching were to fall on deaf ears, the process of study and preparation every week convicts and prepares me. I've been preaching through the Psalms on Sunday nights, sharing how these poems and prayers teach us how to understand and embrace the ups and downs of our own spiritual journeys. Psalm 40 - "I waited patiently on the Lord..." was probably the most eye-opening. We think of waiting as an inactive process, but the reality is (as that entire chapter shows us) there is a lot going on while we "wait!" There is much that God is doing that we can't and don't see, and there is much that He is shaping in and through us that is fulfilled in His perfect timing. I also find encouragment that in the original language of Psalms (Hebrew) the word for "waiting" is interchangeable with the words "hope" and "trust." So we learn to wait/hope/trust with eager anticipation trusting that God will "incline and hear our cry," at the right moment, just like He did for David.

4. God provides. Just recently we had been praying about what we were going to have to do next in the fundraising process, as the excitement of the referral would lead to the anxiousness of having some large payments due. Last week, out of the blue, we received a call from a donor - a family we have known for a long time. Not only did this friend share that God had led their family to provide the rest of our matching grant, but to provide another "challenge grant" that they would match if we could raise $2500 more! For the first time in this process, we have most of the funds we need before the payment is due. Providing we can raise another $2500, this means that God has already provided the funds for us to be able to remain debt-free through accepting our referral! The next hurdle will be travel expenses, but see #3 - we are now waiting and watching to see how God is going to continue to surprise and amaze us!

I've joked through this process that its really fun to teach and preach on faith, but living it is a whole lot harder. Well, its still a long and challenging journey emotionally, spiritually and financially - but God is growing our hearts and teaching us to trust with every step.

- J

4 comments:

Brad and Renae said...

While we don't know each other - I follow your blog. We are on the 2010 list for Nepal...so we're quietly watching how the process is going. I love your blog (particularly this one!)... it is so inspiring to us. With all the swirling information, sometimes quiet reflection does the heart good... and I don't ever look up my favorites without checking you guys out.
Blessings-Renae (Nepalimomma@yahoo) - our blog is in very early stages at http://bringinglaurenhome.blogspot.com/

Heather Brandt said...

I appreciate your candor in your blog! We are prayerfully considering whether we should continue in the Nepal program and any insight into how you came to know you should be in the Nepal program is appreciated.

heather
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

HI -
Thanks for your posts, they are very helpful as we move through this process!

In March I submitted my dossier to a "Nepal approved" agency here in America. Reading some people's blogs I've noticed several people mentioning "once our dossier reaches Nepal, our agency's representative will review everything. Then we wait for the "guarantee letter" from the US Embassy in Kathmandu which basically says that our immigration approval & fingerprints were forwarded from the US to Nepal. After this letter arrives it is added to our dossier, it (the dossier) will be forwarded to the Nepal Ministry of Woman & Children. Our dossier will then "get in line" behind those that have already arrived."

What is this "guarantee letter"? Does my agency get a copy of it? Should I expect to see a copy of it?
What is a registration number? Did you get a registration number or a copy of the guarantee letter?

Thanks for your help -
Mo

Tanya said...

Hey Mo,
The Guarantee letter is cabled (from your USCIS office)to and obtained from the U.S. embassy in Nepal by your agency's in country rep. It provides the Nepali government your final clearance and approval to adopt from Nepal. You should not expect to see a copy of it other than the copy you make for your records when you send it in with your dossier. When Nepal reopened, registration numbers were issued. However, because families were contacting the ministry directly seeking info. about individual files the ministry has stopped giving out file numbers.