We have officially been assigned a log in number of 24. That means that when the Ministry begins to refer children, we will get the 24th referral. I am happy with that place in line. Hopefully when it's our turn, the government officials will have 23 other children placed in their forever families and the process will be somewhat smooth. I can hope anyway!
We had our adoption class last night and discussed the implications of being a trans racial/trans cultural family. We were challenged to be intentional to provide our son opportunities to keep his birth country/culture alive in our home. I am considering the many ways to provide those opportunities. I am open to any suggestions if anyone knows anything about Nepal. Among the things that were mentioned were collecting artifacts while in country including Nepalese children's books, music and traditional clothing. I think Mount Everest might look nice on our wall. I might be hard pressed to find many Nepalese restaurants in the States. Indian food might be the closest we get.
We also discussed the special challenges that are presented with the many stereotypes placed on minorities in America. And finally, were encouraged to think through our responses to people who mean well, but make insensitive comments in ignorance. The keys to success in trans racial family (per our instructors) are confident parenting and educating others one by one.
My, so much to think about.



1 comment:
Congratulations on being lucky (blessed) number 24! Very exciting!!!
We've been home a little over one year with our daughter from China and we have found that most people that stare are doing it because they don't see too many Caucasian families with Asian children. At least not around here :) And they think she's so sweet. Lots of smiles! We live in Maine...everyone is WHITE!!! We need some color in this state :)
I can only think of a couple times that something has been said, but the Lord gave us the words to say to them or not to say.
I think it's good to be prepared to a point, but if you're in a continue state of prayer and seeking the Lord, you'll know how to respond.
I have found people mostly want to know..." how much did she cost"!!! I don't want her to ever think we "bought" her. That's been the biggest most frequent question.
I think bringing things home from Nepal is a fabulous idea! We did that when we traveled to China.
Love hearing your updates!!! Your blog is a real blessing to me and my husband. I do intend on giving you a shout sometime soon!
Blessings, Tonya
Post a Comment