For mom and dad:
Clothes: Fight the temptation to buy yourself a new wardrobe. Take old (as you might want to leave them in Nepal by the end of the trip either to donate to locals or pitch since they will never smell the same again) lightweight, fast dry clothes and wash a little every day if you don't want to pay for cleaning at the hotel. It is not necessary to bring any dressy clothes or jewelry. You will stand out enough. We brought about a weeks worth of mix and match clothes. You won't see Nepali women exposing their shoulders or legs. You can, however, show all you want of your belly in your sari. It is acceptable for foreigners to wear sleeveless tank style shirts and shorts. There are many tourists, so they are used to it. I wore casual capris and a long skirt the most. I did wear tank shirts (but be prepared for lots of looks), but did not feel comfortable wearing shorts. That was a personal preference. It is also "okay" for men to wear shorts, but you will most likely not see very many men wearing them either. Anytime you do business/appointments with officials is it better to present yourself in long pants. I took old tennis shoes and flip flops (pack flat and lightweight). A few days in I decided on just wearing one pair of flip flops since I was not planning taking them home with me! I packed our bags with the assumption that only one of our three bags would be there when we arrived (knowing how luggage gets lost) so each bag contained some of everyone's belongings. I divided everything we needed into the three bags, which also helped to equally distribute the weight (diapers/wipes).
-a smaller napsack (washable) for mom instead of a purse to carry toys/snacks to orphanage, packed in luggage
-paperwork
-$2000 cash (this was the right amount for us)
-laptop (electrical adaptors) It's your only connection to home and the rest of the world!
-toiletries
-Things to do in hotel while waiting for appointments.
-journal/Kindle (much lighter than packing books), Ipod, Iflip for videos (easily upload videos for family be sure you have it ready the first time you give your child ice cream-it's fun!)
-face mask, take it for the pollution. Half of the people there wear them.
-powder packets of Gatorade/Pedialite for when one of you gets sick. (Don't even brush your teeth with the water/ use and drink mineral water only and squeeze it before you unscrew the cap to be sure it hasn't been tampered with (ie. used and refilled to sell.)
Imodium/tums or the like for obvious reasons- someone is likely to get travelers revenge/food (will probably be spicier than you are used to.)
-antibiotic-just in case
-antibacterial hand gel (nose picking is not a social faux pas in Nepal)
For baby/child:
-clothes/shoes/blanket
-lovey/ sleep transitional object for child to hold onto
-backpack
-snacks/snacktrap cup for self-feeders (freeze dried fruit/cereal/cereal bars/puffs all are lighweight),
-sippy cup with handles
-baby carrier (KTM streets are difficult to navigate and not recommended for strollers)
-travel crib (the hotel will provide but if child is mobile, he will be able to climb out as their cribs are low to ground. (We took the Baby B'Jorn travel crib and was sooooo thankful to have had it as it only weighs 11 pounds and is very compact and easy to set up/tear down. It was deep so he could not climb out)
-If your child is still in diapers, bring plenty of Pampers and wipes!!!!!!!!!!! They sell diapers, but not good quality and most def. your child will have some form of intestinal parasite/worm=diarrhea.
We took scabies cream but did not need it.
We also did not need lice shampoo, but others did.
Our pediatrician to put together a medical kit for us. In it they included: antibiotic, Tylenol/Motrin, Dimatapp/Benadryl (they all have a rattle/congestion in their chest), medicine dispenser, bandaids, Neosporin, Aquaphor, Dove soap, Hydrocortizone cream, individual powder packets of formula We took the playtex bottles with drop in liners so we didn't have to clean them. We just filled two bottles at breakfast each morning, one for night and one for morning with his dry cereal in the morning while we got ready for the day)
-age appropriate toys for bonding in orphanage, hotel and airplane (I wrote more specifics in the post titled "More on our time in Nepal")
Anything with buttons/lights/sounds (phones)
Balloons are always a winner, and take no space in luggage.
I just love this one where he is studying and learning his daddy.
A few mores tips:
Shop in Thamel
Visit as many "tourist" spots as possible and take pictures of your child in his/her birth country
Look left when crossing the street!
No public displays of affection, unless your the same gender
Watch your step, it's probably not water
It is definitely expected that you will negotiate prices with the local shopkeepers
The tree now hangs over our bed.
Proceed with extra gifts/donations cautiouslyDefintely use Skype to communicate with home, it's free and easy to use (Although internet is often undependable!)
Never do business exchanges with your left hand!
Trust
For a taste of home, Eat at Fire and Ice (pizza) and The Lazy Gringo (Mexican) has the best public bathroom in Nepal with a baby changer!!!!

He ate the whole bowl of beans and rice.
Get out of the hotel and experience the culture
Newari Dinner
Wait patiently
Enjoy this time with your child away from the demands of home and work

Affectionate from the start!
Namaste Nepal
And don't forget those you left behind.
















4 comments:
Would you mind if i say that your Nepal Travel tips is not 100% correct? i have always enjoyed reading your blog in the past but this particular section of your blog has made me sad. As a Nepali guy, i found this little bit offensive. Yes it is a poor nation and one should not expect luxury. Most of the nepal adoption family knows about the country's condition. And YES your clothes does not smell the same after you wore it for couple of days no matter where you live. All i am trying to say is that u can also give some positive tips about the country like how safe it is for the foreigners, how helpful the people are, how unique the society is. There are lots of good shopping malls in kathmandu which sells a good quality materials. i can make a guess that you were not in a right place or did not meet a right person to let you know more abt KTM.
I was in United States for six months and was robbed twice for $10. You see how every country has its own problem. We need to see the bright side. I agree with some of your advice but most of them are not true. Saying that, i am also very happy for you and your wonderful baby boy. You guys will be in my prayers. Sorry, if i am being rude.
To Mr. Anonymous,
Please accept my heartfelt apology for offending you. Unfortunately, your conclusion is a misinterpretation of my words and motives. The intention of my sharing was never to offend, but only to share my experience from a practical view. I am responding to you lest anyone else misinterpret my words. Your assessment is right, as I meant for it to be read, that clothing would never smell the same when worn for a month, anywhere! (And ours probably smelled the worst since we did all of our own laundry!) That was not intended to be an insult to Nepal.
I am publishing your comment so that others can read your added suggestions-as they are correct. There are too many wonderful things about Nepal to mention. We westerners have much to learn from Nepal's culture. This was not the ultimate purpose of this particular post. My desire was to offer practical advice as others prepare to travel to meet their child/ren.
I am not arguing against your suggestions, as I agree with them. I have previously made mention of "tourists safety" in my strike posts, so I felt it unnecessary to repeat. This post encourages travelers to shop in Thamel and experience the culture. While the people are helpful, It should be noted that tourists should decide ahead of time if they want help (esp.at the airport, street vendors in tourists spots) as there are many ready and willing to work for a tip. At times the help seemed forceful, as though "no" was not an option.
I have to respectfully disagree, though that "most" of my tips are untrue. And while I could have discussed the uniqueness of the society, it was not central to my purpose. This was our experience in Nepal. I truly would never purposefully disrespect my child's birth country. It is very important to us that he grow up with a deep appreciation of Nepal. We actually have good Nepali friends and missionary friends in Nepal who helped us navigate KTM and have given us some great ideas, but perhaps you could suggest some practictical ways for us to instill this appreciation, embrace, and celebrate Nepal. We are teachable and do appreciate your prayers.
I just wanted to say thank you for the practical informative advice on traveling as I have been matched but am still waiting for my official referral paperwork. Traveling light is probably the best advice you can give. But leaving clothing there is even better. I look forward to your posts as I wait. They really help. Your son is adorable and I hope you are having a great time. Post more photos!
Tanya, Thanks so much for your posts! We have a referral and are awaiting TA. Your suggestions are so helpful! I will be referring to them often as we prepare. Any other thoughts/comments about travel, Nepal, bonding, the whole experience as so appreciated. Your little boy is adorable. Thanks for sharing with us!
Post a Comment